The Reading Corner- 'All I Know Now'- Book Review



Hello!

As you can probably tell from the title of this post, I'm going to be reviewing Carrie Hope Fletcher's first book All I Know Now. Before I begin with my review, I'll briefly mention who Carrie is for those of you who may not know. Carrie is an author, a singer/songwriter, an actress, and a YouTuber.

Carrie's social media links!

YouTube (It's Way Past My Bedtime)
YouTube (Twenty Thirty Two)
Twitter
Facebook
Tumblr

All I Know Now: Wonderings and Reflection on Growing up Gracefully- Carrie Hope Fletcher

The essential guide to surviving 'the Teen Age' from YouTube star

Carrie Hope Fletcher.
 
'I pushed and persevered through the crap all teenagers go through- the bullying, the boys, the peer pressure, the friends, the enemies, the frenemies... Now I'm here, watching as you guys go through almost identical experiences; trapped on the wrong side of a computer screen.
Helpless... until now'
 

What did I think?

This first book by Carrie was a good read. For years now I have watched Carrie's YouTube videos on her main channel ItsWayPastMyBedtime and have enjoyed the content she creates, from singing, to book recommendations and to advice videos to list a few. Now it is this last example which lends itself to the style of book which All I Know Now is. In one of her videos Carrie talks about being an Honorary Big Sister to her viewers; someone who will listen to them, and if she can, give them advice. All I Know Now is very similar to that video as Carrie discusses some of the things she learnt growing up and offers advice on various subjects.


Reading this as a 22 year old, I think I'm slightly older than the target audience for the book, but having said that, it was great to hear Carrie's stories, particularly from her school days and then thinking back to my own experiences growing up.


The book itself is split into different acts and scenes as you'd find in a stage show and deal with the issues such as school life, relationships, and being happy with yourself. Each of the 'scenes' are named aptly for the topics discussed, including 'Making Friends' 'How to Apologise' and 'Happy and Healthy'.

Throughout the book Carrie offers her honest opinions on the various topics and provides insightful advice on issues such as school life, relationships and making mistakes. What's good about this book is that Carrie doesn't suggest that she knows the answers to all of life's problems, but having been a teenager not so long ago, she relates the issues to her own real life experiences and draws on them to offer her advice.


Like I said previously, the book is mainly aimed at teenagers but what I found particularly relevant to the current point in my life was the section 'Easier said than done'. Carrie talks about how she wanted to write a book for some time before actually writing it because for example she would say it's easier said than done instead of sitting down and starting to write it. Even though something will undoubtedly be difficult, unless you take that step to begin, it will never get done. At the age of 22 I'm still trying to figure out my life but there are things I want to accomplish and have done for years but there are certain things holding me back and that mainly starts with myself. What struck a chord with me in the book was when Carrie touched on how easily time can be wasted and if I truly want to do something, I need to find the motivation to put the idea into practice and just start whatever it is I want to do!


All I'm all, I enjoyed reading this book and it definitely got me thinking about making positive changes in my own life.


I'm always on the look out for new books to read (even as my current to read list grows) so please let me know any recommendations you may have!




Megan
x



 

Comments

Popular Posts